Airport Parking Checklist
Whether you’re a frequent flyer or an infrequent one, planning a trip is an involved process with many tasks to take care of — including figuring out where to park and how to get to the airport on time. If you fail to plan, you could pay the price — either in terms of actual price or unnecessary stress! Use our airport parking checklist to make sure your next trip out of Chicago O’Hare International Airport gets off to a successful start.
- Find the right airport parking lot — Chicago O’Hare offers both short-term (daily) and long-term (economy) lots. Unless you’ll be parked for less than about four or five hours, you’re better off in a long-term or off-site airport lot. Note, onsite parking spaces are first come, first served. Consider making a reservation at Park N Jet, a discount offsite airport parking lot just three miles from O’Hare’s terminals.
- Check traffic in advance — It’s helpful to route your trip from home to ORD airport parking a few times beforehand during similar days and times. This can give you a better idea of typical traffic flows that could affect you. For example, if you’ll be on the road during rush hour, you’ll can expect a longer drive than if you’ll be traveling in the middle of the night.
- Remove valuables from your car — It’s never smart to leave valuables in your car, especially when it will be unattended for an extended time period.
- Allow plenty of time to park and take shuttles to the terminal — Parking at airport lots doesn’t necessarily mean you’re close to the gate. O’Hare’s cheapest airport parking lot, economy lot G, involves taking both a bus and the ATS (Airport Transit System).
- Mark your parking spot — Use your smartphone or a notepad to make a note of your parking spot. There’s nothing worse than coming home from a long and relaxing trip only to have forgotten where you parked! For off-site airport parking, keep your ticket where you won’t forget it (such as your wallet).
- Designate a secure, easily accessible spot for your car keys — Unless you’re using our valet parking service or leaving your keys behind so we can wash your car, you’ll want to stash your car keys somewhere where you won’t lose them while on your trip such as in a zippered compartment of your purse or backpack.
- Secure your car before loading your luggage on the shuttle — Make sure your car’s windows are up and doors locked before you get on the shuttle.
Avoid the last-minute stress — Reserve your ORD airport parking space now!